Harley-Davidson Traralgon: man saves store from alleged arson attack
A good Samaritan is lucky to be alive after extinguishing a fierce blaze outside a Harley-Davidson store in Victoria yesterday.Store manager, Paul Minster, says the alarm was raised around 2pm when security cameras captured an intruder and large flames billowing at the front door in Traralgon."Someone had pulled up to the front of the store, walked up nice and calm and lit a 4-litre can of petrol and walked off," Mr Minster said.Mr Minster has thanked a good Samaritan, known only as Eril from East Gippsland, who stopped to put out the blaze after seeing the flames as he drove past the shop."He called past and saw a fire, he pulled up on the highway I believe and walked across with a car blanket, threw it over and kicked it away, it was so lucky he didn't get hurt or pants caught on fire," Mr Minster said.The man narrowly escaped injury, with store owners saying the brave act saved their business from potentially thousands of dollars of lost stock and damage."We are really lucky, if it had done what it was intended to do, which was run down and run under the door, to the carpet," Mr Minister said.
"We had a bike parked on that door and that was full of 20-litres of fuel and a timber ceiling too so the other side of the coin would have been really bad."A lot of people will probably stand there and watch when something like that happens, but to actually pull over and put a blanket over a fire and kick it away was pretty good, I don't know if I would do it, I would be worried I'd catch on fire."The offender has been identified and is known to police.He has been arrested and no charges have been made at this stage.
- Childers Palace Backpackers Hostel arsonist Robert Paul Long could walk free within weeks
- Dramatic bodycam vision of child rescued from house fire
- Adelaide house allegedly set alight by axe-wielding man